Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Refresh database
Refresh database [message #212541] Fri, 05 January 2007 15:25 Go to next message
plshelp
Hello all,

Happy New Year! I am working as a junior dba,I need some help in refreshing the database. I have googled it a bit but struggling to get the proper idea into my head.I would really appreciate if somebody could give me the steps involved to proceed further. Here is the process:

1. In a week or so, I will have to refresh the validation database with previous nights production data.
2. Perform pre-upgrade activities ( upgrade from 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.6).
3. Perform the upgrade.
4. Perform post-upgrade activities.

Please help me.

Thank you very much in advance.
Re: Refresh database [message #212549 is a reply to message #212541] Fri, 05 January 2007 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Need some clarification.

• Do you already have a process to do this refresh?
  • What do you mean by "refresh the validation database with previous nights production data" ?
  • Are you expecting to make the validation database a duplicate of the production database?
  • What type of backups do you have?
Re: Refresh database [message #212553 is a reply to message #212541] Fri, 05 January 2007 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
martijn
Hi,

Happy new year to you to Smile

As I understand it, you first are going to (re)fill the current database with new data. (Let's say with an export/import?)

After that you want to upgrade the oracle software (8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.6) and subsequently upgrade the data in the database so that it will work with the new 9.2.0.6 software

The first step (export/import) is pretty straight forward I guess. Especially when you can do a full export/import.

For the second step you first have to upgrade your software (and database) to 9.2.0. Next you can upgrade (with a patch) to 9.2.0.6.

(maybe there is some intermediate upgrade step, but I remember that I did it 8.1.7.4 --> 9.2.0 --> 9.2.0.6)

But...... read the oracle/patch notes before you start doing something and stick to the notes.

In my opinion the notes from oracle are pretty good, and guide you through the process of upgrading the software and database.

Read the notes wel in advance and check the mentioned pre-reqs well before "upgrade-time" so you know what is ahead of you.

Best Regards,
Martijn
Re: Refresh database [message #212804 is a reply to message #212541] Mon, 08 January 2007 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
Ebrian,

Thanks for your reply.I just started a week ago. So I am not pretty sure whats going on. All I know is I have to refresh the database and upgrade it.
As far as i know, you are right that the validation db is going to be a dup of prod database. And regarding the backups, its everynight full backup and weekend full cold backup. I would like to know the basic/general steps/procedures for refreshing the database. Please help. I really appreciate it.

Martjin,

Thanks for your reply. I will definetely look into the documents before proceeding the upgrade. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Geetha
Re: Refresh database [message #212807 is a reply to message #212804] Mon, 08 January 2007 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,

refresh database ...if is very hard to say what is actually you want.

1.You want to refresh your database with production to testing database.
2. you want to refresh your production database.
3. why and what is need to refresh your database are you getting any problem.

everynight full backup
which type of full backup :hotbackup: or :cold backup:
Through RMAN or User Managed Backup.

If you database size is small then you can used EXPORT or IMPORT utility.

regards
Taj
Re: Refresh database [message #212820 is a reply to message #212541] Mon, 08 January 2007 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
Hi Taj,

As i mentioned previously, I am new to the company and I am still getting used to the environment here. So, I am not sure why they want to refresh the database. My imagination is, they might have had problems in the database, so they want to refresh
it now before doing the upgrade. I have to refresh the validation database from the backup. Everynight full backup is cold backup and its using the scripts.

I apologize that I am unable to provide you with the full information.

Thanks,
Geetha.
Re: Refresh database [message #212828 is a reply to message #212820] Mon, 08 January 2007 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

I have to refresh the validation database from the backup

You have cold backup of your production database and you want to valid your backup if yes then you can create new database with you cold backup of your production database.

1. take cold backup or ur database
sql>shutdown immediate;
sql>rem using OS copy cmd COPY all datafile files, redo log files, control files , spfile, password files, No need to archive log files.transter ur backup to another machine.on another machine install oracle software without database.and fellow below procedure.
C:\>set oracle_sid=orclC:\>orapwd file=d:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_2\database\pwdorcl.ora password=oracle
C:\>d:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_2\bin\oradim.exe -new -sid ORCL -startmode manual -spfile
Instance created.
C:\>d:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_2\bin\oradim.exe -edit -sid ORCL -startmode auto
C:\>sqlplus/nologSQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Sat Dec 9 12:36:53 2006Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
SQL> conn sys as sysdbaEnter 
password:
Connected to an idle instance.
note 1.paste all datafile , redo log file, control file, or spfile<sid>.ora in there location. 
create folder in oraclehome/admin---bdump 
or cdump 
or udump
and                            
oraclehome/ordata--orcl (according to ur dbname)
SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area  171966464 bytes
Fixed Size                   787988 bytes
Variable Size             145488364 bytes
Database Buffers           25165824 bytes
Redo Buffers                 524288 bytes
Database mounted.Database altered.
SQL>

[Updated on: Mon, 08 January 2007 08:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Refresh database [message #212830 is a reply to message #212541] Mon, 08 January 2007 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
Hi

Thanks for your reply Taj. Really appreciated. I believe the steps you mentioned are for refreshing the database.

Thanks very much
Geetha
Re: Refresh database [message #212836 is a reply to message #212830] Mon, 08 January 2007 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,

go through below link also.

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=1625828&#1625828

http://www.it.vt.edu/organization/isc/dbms/developmentrecreation.html

and also if you want to refresh your testing database from production database you can use RMAN duplicate option.

http://dbataj.blogspot.com/2006/12/duplicating-database-with-recovery.html

believe the steps you mentioned are for refreshing the database.
No, it is used for create new database like if you want to create some database for testing purpose from production database through cold backup.

Know is depand on you which type of refresh you want.

if you want to refresh testing database then go through above link and if you want to refresh production database then go for EXPORT or IMPORT utility.

regards
Taj
Re: Refresh database [message #212860 is a reply to message #212541] Mon, 08 January 2007 10:39 Go to previous message
plshelp
Thank you very much.That helps.
Previous Topic: ORA-01652
Next Topic: Error in identifying Controlfile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:27:32 CDT 2024