Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » performance  () 1 Vote
performance [message #225786] Wed, 21 March 2007 08:53 Go to next message
maoro
hello
i have an oracle database and an application server on site A
, all client connect from sites B , C , D and so on which are geographically distant
due to low bandwidth the application is very slow,
so is it a good solution to deploy the application server locally on sites B , C, D and connect these application servers to the database server on site A ? to speed up the process ?
does that create conflicts on the database side ?
thanks
Re: performance [message #226129 is a reply to message #225786] Thu, 22 March 2007 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael_bialik
Just a question:

Why do you blame low bandwith and not poorly written application?
Re: performance [message #226306 is a reply to message #225786] Fri, 23 March 2007 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
There is an Oracle concept that allows the data in certain tables to 'live' close to where it is used. Some sort of Two phased commit. This concept has a master database and x number of remote databases. The master is allways updated, sometimes based on a change in one of its remote databases.
This may not help your performance problem since it ends up updating the master database anyway.
I would look at how the database is used. Is the application updating only when needed? How large are the network data packets? Can an update live in one packet or does it take many?
What size is your db_block_size ? Is it a multiple of the network packet size, or your disk block size.
Are you using the correct charter code or do you make Oracle do charter conversions?
Does your server have enough memory to have hot tables in memory?
Are there tables that are xref tables and need to stay in sga (keep memory)
Is there enough memory to keep your data dictionary in memory?
Are the sql statements reused or parced every time?
Are the sql statements well written and is there an index for the statements?
Always keep your data on a different disk device than your logs and archivelogs and data dictionary.
Data and indexes do not belong in the same tablespace, the process of regaining deleted blocks occur differently for data and indexes.
Do you have several control files on different disk devices?
You do not have any data or indexes in the system tablespace.
Re: performance [message #226320 is a reply to message #226306] Fri, 23 March 2007 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b_kareem@sify.com
My first suggestion is to change your database from dedicated to sharedserver database and increase no of depatcher(1 depatcher can server 10 users at a time)

Keep your memory dedicated only to oracle.make sure your system cache free

Re: performance [message #228832 is a reply to message #226306] Wed, 04 April 2007 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maoro
thanks for kind help
i have no problem with the database server, but its with the application server ,
cause the size of the application interfaces is the problem not the data that is shipped to the database server
plz advice
thank u
Re: performance [message #228958 is a reply to message #225786] Wed, 04 April 2007 12:52 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
What application are you using?
Some are just slow, like java. Some consume a lot of memory and other resources, like Oracle's.
I would agree with michael_bialik in asking why do you blame the application server. Does the application server form well written sql statements. Are the sql statements reused or reparced?
Where is your 'narrow bandwidth'? Is it between the database server and the application server? Perhaps it is between the application server and the remote client.
Previous Topic: ORACLE help for statement syntax
Next Topic: Running utlu102i.sql for upgrade(8.1.7 to 10g2)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:39:48 CDT 2024