Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » SGA and PGA Parts
icon9.gif  SGA and PGA Parts [message #229662] Mon, 09 April 2007 09:49 Go to next message
mivey4
Hi,

I have been trying to put SGA and PGA components into proper perspective and I am having a difficult time because all information that I have come across seems to use different names for what appears to be by description to be the same component. This makes the task of clarifying the components very difficult.

For instance, I have received this definition:

PRIVATE SQL AREA - stores SQL statement information and it execution plan (located in the PGA for DEDICATED SERVERS and SGA for SHARED SERVERS)

So this is good until I come across another definition like this:

SHARED SQL AREA - stores SQL statement and its execution plan.

Now I'm confused. Is the PRIVATE SQL AREA actually a SHARED SQL AREA on a SHARED SERVER? It would seem so since the definitions are identical

Can anyone provide me with a clear and easy break down for what components make up the SGA and what make up the PGA or tell me where I can find this information?

So far this is what I believe is correct:

[SGA]
PRIVATE SQL AREA (IF ON A SHARED SERVER)
LIBRARY CACHE
ROW CACHE
SHARED POOL
BUFFER CACHE
REDO LOG BUFFERS

[PGA]
PRIVATE SQL AREA (IF ON A DEDICATED SERVER)
CURSORS
SESSION MEMORY

If you see any mistakes in what I have here, please correct me. I just want to simplify the grouping of the components for each memory section. (SGA and PGA)

Anyone??

Thanks.
Re: SGA and PGA Parts [message #231065 is a reply to message #229662] Fri, 13 April 2007 22:01 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
Partial reply:
PGA also contains results from an sql statement before being shiped to the client that owns the PGA memory.
I don't know if 'first_rows' parameter in init.ora changes that.
Sorts (order by) and things like 'where rownum < x' are done in PGA.
Previous Topic: Table re-organisation using CLOB datatype column
Next Topic: Installation of Oracle 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:23:09 CDT 2024