Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Support costs
Support costs [message #235675] Mon, 07 May 2007 11:41 Go to next message
Mr.Chip
Hello,

This is my first post - I hope I have it in the right forum. If not, please advise and I will move it.

First off, I want to disclose that I am not a dba, nor have I personally used Oracle. However, I am a huge fan of the software (from a marketing perspective) and often work with companies who run Oracle on their servers.

My question is about Oracle support costs. I know that Oracle charges a set fee per CPU for an annual support contract (I believe it is around $8,000 per CPU). What happens if a company wishes to upgrade an older server to a newer server that has fewer CPUs? For example, what if you start with an HP9000 server that has 8 CPUs. Then you wish to upgrade to an HP Integrity server. Thanks to the faster processors, you only need 4 CPUs on the Integrity.

Would this company have to continue to pay Oracle $8,000 x 8 or $64,000 per year for support, or would their support costs drop to $32,000 ($8,000 x 4 CPUs)?

I realize that this is not a technical question, per say, but was hoping that someone here could comment on personal experience.

In summary, my question is can companies save some money in ongoing annual support costs by upgrading to newer, faster servers with fewer CPUs?

Thank you!
Chip

P.S. I am aware that Oracle treats some dual core processors differently in terms of licensing. For simplicity sake, I am ignoring the issue of "cores". If you think it needs to be included in the equation, please let me know.
Re: Support costs [message #235677 is a reply to message #235675] Mon, 07 May 2007 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
There is an official policy that you can read on http://oraclestore.oracle.com/ but no company pay for this and you have to talk with your Oracle commercial contact to negociate a price.

Regards
Michel
Re: Support costs [message #235690 is a reply to message #235677] Mon, 07 May 2007 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr.Chip
Michel,

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you provide a more specific link? Your link sent me to a landing page and I wasn't sure where to go.
Re: Support costs [message #235696 is a reply to message #235690] Mon, 07 May 2007 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Well, from your IP you are from Virginia, so click on United States and you are on Oracle Store United State.
Then click on Database tab, and once again on United States, on the Edition and options you want and you get the prices.

Regards
Michel
Re: Support costs [message #235700 is a reply to message #235675] Mon, 07 May 2007 13:09 Go to previous message
Mr.Chip
Thanks so much
Previous Topic: where are the 0 to 8 block id's ?
Next Topic: sending mail
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:38:28 CDT 2024